Georgia Willis, who helped in the kitchen, was rubbing the knives. Somebody had been careless and let one get rusty, but Georgia rubbed with all her might, rubbed, and sang softly a little song, "In the world is darkness, so we must shine. You in your small corner, and I in mine."
"Why do you rub at the knives forever like that?" asked Mary. Mary was the cook. "Because they are in my corner," Georgia said, brightly. "You in your small corner, you know, and I in mine." I will do the best I can; that is all I can do." "I would not waste my strength," said Mary. "I know that no one will notice." "The Lord will," replied Georgia; and then she sang her song again, "You in your small corner, and I in mine."
"Cooking the dinner is in my corner, I suppose." said Mary to herself. "If that child must do what she can, I suppose I must. If Jesus knows about knives, it is likely that He does about dinners." And she took particular pains. "Mary, the dinner was very nicely cooked today," Miss Emma said. "That is due to Georgia," said Mary, with a pleased face. Then she told about the knives.
Miss Emma was in charge of ironing ruffles; she was tired and warn. "Helen will not care whether they are fluted or not," she thought, "I will hurry them over." But after she heard about the knives, she resolved to do her best. "How beautifully my dress is done!" Helen said. Emma laughing, answered, "That is owing to Georgia." Then she told about the knives.....
"No," said Helen to a her friend who urged, "I really cannot go this evening with you. I am to go to prayer meeting; my 'corner' is there." "Your what? What do you mean," asked Helen. Then Helen told about the knives.
"Well," the friend said, "if you will not go with me, perhaps I will go with you" and they went to the prayer meeting."
"You helped us ever so much with the singing this evening," their pastor said to them as they were going home. "It was an encouragement to me to have you here." "It was owing to our Georgia," said Helen. "She seemed to think she must do what she could, if it were only to clean the knives."
"I believe I will go in here again," said the minister, stopping before a poor little house. "I said yesterday it was no use to try to talk to this bitter-hearted man; but I must do what I can."
In the house, a sick man was lying. Again and again the minister had called, but the invalid would not listen to him. Tonight the minister said, "I have come to tell you a little story." Then he told him about Georgia Willis, about the knives and the little corner, and her "doing what she could." The sick man wiped the tears from his eyes, and said, "Thank you pastor for coming by. I will find my corner, too. I will shine for Jesus." This sick man, you see, was Georgia's father....
But Georgia knew nothing about all this, and the next morning she took to her assigned task and brightened her knives and sang cheerily -
"In the world is darkness, so we must shine. You in your small corner, and I in mine."
And so it is that I pray, that I might faithfully serve and brightly shine -- in my small corner -- so that in some small way, I, too, might be able to encouraged and stimulate others to be drawn all the more to my Savior!
Welcome, again, to my small corner. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment